IDEAL FOR BASEMENTS IN HEAVING SOIL AND SIMILAR APPLICATIONS.
Consists of a special corrugated cardboard box, wax coated on the outside to withstand temporary moisture of concrete when casting. Depending on the slab thickness special stiffeners are placed inside Void Formers.
In contact with moisture or water the JOLUKA VOID FORMERS slowly disintegrate leaving a Void for soil movement.
• Light weight.
• Easy to position.
• Saves up to 50% of time.
• Cost effective compared to conventional methods.
• Can be used for beams, slabs, flat surfaces, etc.
• Different sizes, thicknesses and shapes can be manufactured as per engineers’ specifications.
Placement of Joluka Void Formers:
1. After excavation, a layer of approx. 20mm riversand or similar should be placed on surface.
2. A thin plastic sheeting must be placed beneath Joluka Void Former.
3. Shortly prior to fixing reinforcing the JOLUKA VOID FORMER must be positioned as specified by engineer.
4. A thin plastic sheeting must be placed around the JOLUKA VOID FORMER eliminating contact with moisture and water.
5. After fixing steel etc. the concrete is poured.
6. JOLUKA VOID FORMERS do not need to be removed since the collapse and disintegrate with time, depending on the amount of moisture received from surrounding concrete and underlying soil.
7. Heaving soil (like clay) may now expand into cavities provided by the disintegrated JOLUKA VOID FORMERS.
Due to the inherent property of the cardboard to collapse and disintegrate in contact with moisture it is important to:
1. Store the Void Formers indoors and to eliminate contact with water as well as moisture.
2. In the case of no indoor storage facility, the JOLUKA VOID FORMERS must be completely covered with plastic sheeting to avoid contact with water.
3. Ensure to pour concrete as soon as possible after positioning JOLUKA VOID FORMERS.
Other sizes and shapes of JOLUKA VOID FORMERS can be supplied on request.
Typical Heights of JOLUKA VOID FORMERS for flat surfaces used in heaving soil are between 100-250mm.